Self Care – You’ve probably heard of it but do you know what it is?
Self Care is what keeps you well, mentally and physically, those little things you do for yourself to unwind and relax. More and more of us are realising the importance of self care in an ever changing, fast paced world where we barely have two seconds to think. Running from one place to the next, constantly ‘switched on’ to the pressures around us. Self care is about switching off and re-fuelling again before we are running on empty. (I’m sure you know that feeling!)
We can practise little titbits of self care on a daily basis, to keep the tank topped up. Or have regular self care days. However works for you.
There isn’t a one-size fits all plan when it comes to self care, its just about doing those things that make YOU feel good. Later in the week I will be sharing a self care planner that I have made, for you to download for free!
For me that’s having a hot bubbly bath, candles lit around the bathroom, a face mask freshly applied, a cup of herbal tea or a cheeky glass of prosecco. I sink in to the soothing bath filled with relaxing essential oils, lay back and read a good book. Letting the warming feeling melt away all the stresses and strains of the day. This was my inspiration for A Box of Happiness, self care kits to encourage others to do the same. I see so many women; mums, professionals constantly on the go, burning the candle at both ends.
Practising self care isn’t just an indulgence, it is a great way of maintaining your mental health, reducing anxiety and improving self confidence. Something all of us could benefit from.
Here are just a few self care ideas for you to try this week, some take just 10 minutes out of your day, some will take some planning but will be worth it:
- Have a duvet day, do nothing other than sit in your pyjamas with your duvet on the sofa and watch re-runs of your favourite teen series (mine is gossip girl!)
- Take a pot of herbal tea in to the garden, drink it while listening to the birds sing.
- Have a silent stroll along the seafront or river.
- Read a book
- Give yourself a full facial at home
- Put some music on; sing at the top of your voice and dance like nobody is watching (because lets face it if you’re at home they probably aren’t!!)
- Do 10 minutes of yoga
- Call a friend or relative and have a catch up
- Arrange a coffee date with a friend
- Go to a coffee shop alone, drink a caramel latte and read the newspaper
- Go swimming
- Laugh out loud
- Watch your favourite old movie
- Have a movie night with the kids, popcorn and all.
- Walk in the woods, really look around and take in the wonders of nature!
For some people just doing the simple self care tasks like showering daily, brushing teeth, making nourishing meals are hard enough. That’s why we try to encourage these things. We all know when we take care of ourselves we feel so much better and it can be easy to get stuck in a vicious cycle of not taking care of ourselves and feeling bad, feeling worthless. You are not worthless. So take care of yourself, encourage others to do the same and make the world a happier place!
Let me know your little tricks of self care and share this post with anybody you think might need it! Love to you all!